- Color: red, orange, purple, green, blue, yellow, brown
- Hardness: 7.5
- Refractive index: 1.78 - 2.01
- Density: 3.95 - 4.80
- Chemical composition: ZrSiO4
- Crystal structure: tetragonal
- Origins: Tanzania, Kenya, Madagascar, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, Australia.
Zircons exist in a wide range of colors, but the most expensive stones are deep blue, purple, red and orange. White zircons are also valuable, probably due to their extremely high 'diamond-like' refracting properties. Brownish stones from Cambodia are usually heated to obtain an intense blue color.