- Color: red, orange, purple, green, blue, yellow, brown
- Hardness: 7.5
- Refractive index: 1.78 - 2.01
- Density: 3.95 - 4.80
- Chemical composition: ZrSiO4
- Crystal structure: tetragonal
- Origins: Tanzania, Kenya, Madagascar, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, Australia.
Zircons exist in a wide range of colors, but the most expensive stones are deep blue, purple, red and orange. White zircons are also valued probably due to their extremely high "diamond" refraction. Brownish stones from Cambodia are usually heated to obtain an intense blue color.