- Color: yellow, green, pink or colorless
- Hardness: 7.5
- Refractive index: 1.57 - 1.59
- Density: 2.67 - 2.75
- Chemical composition: Be3Al2(SiO3)6
- Crystal structure: hexagonal
- Lustre: vitreous
- Origins: Canada, Brazil, Madagascar, Mozambique, Namibia, Russia, India, Pakistan, China.
Among other varieties of beryl - such as emerald, aquamarine or bixbite, beryl exists in different varieties such as: light yellow (heliodor), light green (vanadium beryl), light pink (morganite) or colorless (goshenite). Heat treatment could be applied to pink beryls to improve their color.