- Color: light purple, pink, colorless
- Hardness: 6.5 - 7
- Refractive index: 1.66 - 1.68
- Density: 3.10 - 3.20
- Chemical composition: LiAl(SiO3)2
- Crystal structure: monoclinic
- Origins: Afghanistan, Pakistan, Burma, Brazil, Madagascar, USA, Canada, Russia.
Another name for kunzite is spodumene. These stones have a noticeable pleochroism effect (from pink to colorless). As a rule, only big specimens over 15-20 ct. are considered valuable. Heating or long exposure to sunlight may make their color fade.